October 08, 2006

Why The Blog?

Since I've been asked this question a few times, I thought there may be others who are reading my ramblings and wondered the same thing. So right here, right now, I will clear up any rumors about my new internet love before they get scandalous and tell you exactly why I started writing here in the first place.

For me, the idea of journaling actually began when I was only a few months pregnant with my first child. I thought, "What a great idea it would be to keep a journal during this momentous time in my life." I bought a pretty book and had dreams of recording not only the miracles of pregnancy and child birth, but the many milestones my precious child and I would embark on during our years together.

At first the writing was sporadic. I told myself as soon as I quit throwing up every day, I'll feel better and write more often. And I did during the second trimester. We found out I was carrying a girl and we named her Savannah. I wrote about plans for her nursery and my dreams for her life. It was such an exciting time!

Then we sold our house. I spent days packing, then unpacking boxes, and fell into bed exhausted at night. I rarely kept up with the journal. I was naive enough to believe that after Savannah was born, I would have more time to reflect and jot down my thoughts about the experience.

Needless to say, I soon found out how quickly the days and nights go by with a new baby, then toddler, then preschooler. Not to mention by the time she was 2 years old, I was pregnant with Emery and moving (yes moving!) yet again. I had really fallen behind.

I have tried to keep up with special dates and memories in their scrapbooks, but even so there are many things that happen daily that I would like to remember and be able to share with them when they are older. By blogging online, I am able to accomplish that and more.

Writing is very therapeutic. An outlet to vent frustration. And even better than that, I have found many situations which seem "hair raising" in the moment can become humorous as I narrate them. It puts a postitive spin on my day and improves my mood.

Keeping all of this in one place with pictures and other family interests also helps me to keep in touch with friends and family who we do not see very often. I also hope to broaden my horizons and possibly encourage other moms who run across my site.

So in addition to giving my kids the gift of family memoirs, embarrassing as well as sentimental, I seem to have stumbled upon an outlet for my creative juices that hopefully will benefit others as well as myself.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally understand! I see my blog as a journal of sorts and am figuring out how best to save them to preserve them for my girls. :0) I want them to know a bit about what their lives were like but I sometimes struggle with just how much to share on my blog. I do have sections in their baby book that I still write the odd memories on that I don't want to repeat elsewhere. :0)

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home