October 01, 2006

Autumn is Upon Us

This is my favorite time of year. Fall. In Georgia we have crisp, cool mornings, perfect for sitting on the back deck wearing soft pajama bottoms, a fleece cover up, and fuzzy socks, sipping a warm cup of coffee. Mmmmm...

Well, that was before 2 children when I could go outside in peace and quiet. You know, without having to give the primadonna 50 excuses about why, no, it is too cold this morning to wear your favorite ballet outfit, that is 2 sizes too small, and your flip flops. Then there is more debating about sleeves and pants and socks and shoes. By then my coffee is cold and it's just not worth the effort.

But the memory is alive within me and each year at this time I can't help but think about those days and how I will have them again before too long.

For now I will settle for the yearly change in cooking that cooler days bring. For now I am not trying to find something to eat that does not require turning on the stove. It's no longer 11o degrees outside. It's perfect for opening windows and letting in a cool breeze. Then putting something on the stove to simmer and letting all the smells encompass the house. It doesn't get any better than that.

This weekend I tried a new recipe for Potato Soup. It was out of this world. I'll include it here and just say that if you like Loaded Baked Potatoes, you will LOVE this soup:

Take 5 lb baking potatoes, peel and cube. Put them into a stock pot and fill with water until the potatoes are covered. Boil until tender. DO NOT DRAIN OFF WATER. Add 1 can cream of celery soup, 1 can cream of onion soup, 1 lb velveeta (grated), 1 stick of butter, and 1 small can evaporated milk. Cook on low heat until cheese is melted. Top with 1 bunch green onions (chopped) and 4 pieces of cooked bacon (chopped).

Yes, this recipe is one that will be added to my favorite comfort foods.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home