October 04, 2006

Could Someone Please Hand Me the Classifieds?

Tell me again why I wanted to be home full time? I really don't remember since, oh, excuse me...(shouting into the other room) "SAVANNAH, WHEN YOUR BROTHER SCREAMS LIKE THAT, I'M PRETTY SURE HE DOESN'T LIKE WHATEVER IT IS YOU ARE DOING TO HIM"...Okay, now what was I saying? I keep loosing my train of thought and, ug, wait a minute...(now going into the other room) "What are you two doing? You asked me to turn on a movie. Now you are climbing on the furniture like monkeys (lots of giggling from the little people). I am turning the movie off now (lots of crying from the little people)."

The first 2 days of this week have been such a struggle. It has not been easy getting back to the routine we left behind 6 weeks ago. And before I say what I'm going to say next, let me assure you that I do not in any way have anything bad to say about the people who helped me take care of the kids while I went back to work. BUT...I think the kids got used to a few things that I normally don't do here at our house. I think the hardest thing for both of them is getting used to playing together again. For 6 weeks they were separated. With Savannah in school in the morning and then being picked up by different members of my family, she had the undivided attention of her Nanny and Grampa, or Aunt Jessica ("she's so fun" is what Savannah would say each time I picked her up after work).

Emery had it pretty good too at Aunt Irene's. She and Uncle Gerald would play with him all day, he had all the toys to himself, and I think "grazing" rather than set meal times is the norm over there. None of this stuff is bad. It's just different. And now I am trying to get back to "our normal" and the tots are not happy.

I also think I have contributed to some of the problems because I am trying to get caught up on household stuff and so I am not paying them quite as much attention as they would like. Yesterday I decided that today would be different. We ran 2 days worth of errands in one day. The plan was to have absolutely nothing to do outside the home all day today. We would spend all day in our jammies playing together. Maybe we'd bake something. Maybe we'd watch a movie together. The possibilities were endless.

Then I woke up at 4 am.

Emery was sick. The kinda sick where he is cranky, warm, and rubbing his ears. Green snot sick. I knew then that pajama day was no more. Instead, it was let's-call-the-doctor-for-a-work-in-appointment-and-sit-all-morning-at-the-waiting-room day. Whoo-hoo!

When I finally got through to the ped's office it was 8:40. They had a 9:10 opening. I took it even though I knew full well it would take me 45 minutes to get there. They don't run on time anyways. We ended up being there until 10:50, then I still had to visit the pharmacist.

I feel bad for the little fella. He's really miserable. And he didn't know it was pajama day. Maybe we will try again for tomorrow. And as for the classifieds? Well, I suppose this frustration in getting back on track is only temporary. No need for job hunting just yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home