September 02, 2006

Dawg Days of Summer are Here!!!


Today is the first game of the season for the Georgia Bulldogs. They are playing Western Kentucky and are currently winning 34-7.

When I first moved to Georgia, 15 years ago, I didn't watch much college football at all. In rural Illinois, basketball was the big sport that everybody loved to see. But after being here a few years, I grew accustomed to College Game Day on Saturday's in the fall. In the mid 90's I was a huge fan of Peyton Manning who played for Tennessee. After he graduated (but not before leading the Vols to the SEC Championship in 1996!) and moved on to a professional career, I continued to cheer for good ole "Rocky Top". Not so much because I felt a connection to the team, just simply because it irritated the stew out of everybody around here.

Ten years later, I am living in the heart of Bulldog country. I have 2 choices: 1. Keep annoying people or 2. Root for the hometeam. And since my alma mater, GPC, doesn't have a football team, I will choose to support UGA. To prove my dedication to the team, I have spent the better part of the past 2 months teaching Emery the phrase, "Go Dogs! Sick 'em! (bark, bark, bark)!" So far he's only got the "Go dogs!" part down. But that's enough for the season opener!
(Editor's Note: Today (#23) Tennessee upset (#9) California by winning 35-3!!! You didn't expect me to stop watching all together, did you?)

5 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

College NCAA Basketball is still MUCH better. But, as far as fight songs, your former 'Good ole Rocky Top' beats 'Glory to old Georgia' any day of the week! :) But, I suppose, when in Rome!

10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What beautiful children. And so calm. It must be a constant delight to be their mother. :)

8:08 AM  
Blogger jodi said...

Yeah right, Nanny. And what am I going to do with the other 83 pictures that it took to get this one "calm, beautiful" one???

12:15 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Yeah, I'm with Michele on that! :)

7:59 PM  
Blogger eBeth said...

I went to UGA but gotta tell you - I'm so glad we don't have college ball in England! Although it does make me miss home a bit to see Savannah in her cheerleader uniform! MC wouldn't know a cheerleader if one walked up and kissed her!

5:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home