July 05, 2006

One of the Many Stupid Things I Do

Just ask my husband. I do a lot of stupid things. But this one takes the cake. It ranks right up there with self mutilation. Nice, huh? Any other nail biters out there? Yeah. Ya hate yourself for it, don't ya? Me too.

My sister recently printed an article written by Anderson Cooper titled: "
The Agony of Adult Nail Biters". I really cracked up as he described the heirarchy of biters. I have never given the habit as much thought as he apparently has, and while from the sounds of it, he is not planning on quitting, I would like to stop.

Interestingly enough, I can still remember why and when I started. There was a girl at my high school, I'll call her "RH". She was somewhat popular with the boys and she had this nonchalant, sassy attitude, that when combined with biting her nails and flippantly rolling her eyes, was SO COOL! (Remember, I am like, uhhh, 16). So I decided I wanted to be like her!

So now, here I am at age 34 with this disgusting habit. The problem with trying to break it is that I do it without thinking about it. Last week I noticed that my nails really looked nice. They had grown long and it made me nervous because I knew what my subconscious was thinking, "mmmm, I can take care of that...who needs clippers and an emery board?" One day while waiting at the drive thru to pick up Jeremy's dry cleaning it started. I pushed back a few cuticles, then noticed a hang nail. I pulled it out and then next thing I know, I am parking the truck in the garage, less 10 beautiful fingernails. Ugh, I did it again!!!

I suppose a positive spin on the situation is that it's probably a good thing that "RH" wasn't smoking "cool" cigarettes!!! :)

1 Comments:

Blogger eBeth said...

I never knew you were a nail biter.. I am as well. I hate that I do it, but it's just one of those things. I find that I do it, then stop for 6 months and then start again. It's weird. Better than smoking crack, I suppose!

7:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home