June 23, 2006

VBS

Wow...what a long 5 days! I haven't posted much this week, but there hasn't been much to say since we've spent every day at vacation bible school. I believe the last time I volunteered to help at VBS I was in high school. Yes, a very long time ago.

I was surprised when Michele asked me to help out because neither of my kids are old enough to enroll in the program. But they needed preschool workers to entertain the toddlers whose moms were teaching the older kids in VBS. And she assured me that my two would have a really fun week playing, singing songs, and doing craft projects.

And you know what? They did. Savannah looked forward to going every morning and each afternoon she would excitedly tell me about the things that happened. And although Emery can't verbalize about his day, each time I passed him in the halls or saw him on the playground, he was grinning from ear to ear. That's all the proof I need.


The class I was assigned to had 10 children: 9 boys and 1 girl, ages 18-24 months. Thankfully there were 3 teachers, which means that roughly, we were each in charge of 3-4 rambunctious little boys for 3 and a half hours every morning. The lead teacher did a really great job of trying to implement the "curriculum" that was provided for us to present to the kids each day. But in all seriousness, how much of an attention span does a child of this age possess?

Nonetheless, we did the job to the best of our ability and made sure that not only were these kids supervised while their moms did the all important job of teaching the love of Jesus to hundreds of elementary and middle-school aged children, but they had a great time playing, singing songs, and dancing. And one additional perk for me was that I got to know 2 other moms in our church...the other 2 teachers I was spending time with each morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home