June 24, 2006

Contagious Joy


What a GREAT day! Today I went to the Women of Faith conference, this year entitled "Contagious Joy". Well, actually it started last night from 7-10 pm, and then we went back this morning at 9:00 and it went on until 5:00. My sister and my mom went with me, and 2 of Jessica's friends rode with us today too.

In addition to the traditional speakers like
Patsy Clairmont, Sheila Walsh, and Luci Swindoll, other guests included actress Sherri Shepherd and Atlanta's own, Ashley Smith. The music Friday night was provided by Nichole Nordeman and on Saturday, Avalon.

The speakers all gave incredible testimonies about how finding or already knowing and just trusting in God's power brought them through their darkest hours, and into the joy filled lives they now strive to live on a daily basis. And what is refreshing to know, is that even these women, these spiritually sound, faithful women, who mentor so many younger women like myself, still have to struggle some days to find their joy.

James 1:2-4 says, "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything". That is hard to remember some days when I feel depressed or upset, or I've just gotten bad news. Sometimes it seems as if I can't even see the light at the end of the tunnel, much less see the joy in my circumstances.

There is a song by
Casting Crowns called "Praise You in this Storm" and the refrain states:

I will praise you in this storm
and I will lift my hands
For you are who you are
No matter where I am
And every tear I cry
You hold in Your hand
You never left my side
Though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm.
That is what I took away from the conference. No matter what my situation is on any given day, God is still God. Powerful, merciful, loving, and more than anything, praise worthy! By focusing my energy and attention on Him and taking my thoughts away from what I desire, I find joy in His goodness and peace in my heart. "For the joy of the Lord is your strength" (Ne. 8:10).

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

To paraphrase Matthew 17:4, Mark 9:5 and Luke 9:33....."It was good for us to be there"! Thanks again. I enjoyed it so much. What a burden lifter it is to feel God's grace, power and presence. To be able to trust that whatever we go through in this life, He will make it be for our best. That kind of joy IS contagious! :)

7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home