June 19, 2006

What the...???

So I went to the mailbox this morning. Granted, it had been a while since I made my way down the long drive to see what kinds of things the postman left for us. Maybe it's just me, but I don't anxiously await the arrival of our mail carrier in hopes of receiving cash and prizes. I know what's in there. Bills and junk mail.

A practical and time saving idea I should implement would be the installation of a trash can at the bottom of our drive way, right next to the mailbox. It would serve two purposes. First, I would not have to carry 3/4 of our mail back up to the house, only to throw it away once inside the door. And second, half of our trash would already be down at the street Monday morning for waste removal, saving Jeremy a trip! Very convenient, I think.

Today would not be the first time I let a week slip by without checking the box. As a matter of fact, we sometimes get mail that's been bundled by the mailman with a note on it that reads "too full" and the date. I am trying to be better, but really, what is the point of getting the mail if it's not bill paying day? I'd rather have a neat stack of bills enclosed in the mailbox than falling all over my kitchen counter. It just makes sense.


With all that said, and you see I have admitted I do not get the mail as often as I should, however, it had not been long enough for a bird to nest and lay an egg! At least, you wouldn't think so. But an egg is just what I found when I opened my box this morning. Or, let me restate that...an egg shell is what I found when I opened my box this morning.

So for the past few hours I have been wondering, "what the...", "how the...", "who the..."??? I cannot even guess the answer to any of those questions. Maybe this is a new style of "egging" the neighbors house. Or maybe my mail man is trying to teach me a lesson. I don't know. What I do know is that when an egg breaks in your mailbox during a heat wave in the southeast, the yolk and white part of the egg become a sticky glue-like substance, except yellow in color, and it seals all your mail together into one large glob!

3 Comments:

Blogger eBeth said...

was the egg in a nest? is there a way for a bird to get in your mailbox? or have you really ticked off the postman!
by not picking up your mail every day, don't you worry that you're advertising that you're not home to burglars?
:)

7:04 AM  
Blogger jodi said...

Do burglars check mailboxes like that? I didn't know!

12:50 PM  
Blogger eBeth said...

I would think that post lying in a mailbox would be a pretty good sign that someone was on holiday, etc. I'm too panicky to do something like that! Thank goodness ours is shoved through the mailslot on our door so we have to deal with it! :)

7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home