June 07, 2006

Best Days of My Life

This morning I was thinking about how much I am enjoying my kids these days. Savannah seems to be out of the "drama queen" phase where every little thing that doesn't go exactly the way she planned it sends her into a heep on the floor with a burst of tears. And Emery's little personality is really starting to shine through. He is walking around now, pointing at everything and asking, "dat?" Both of them love to laugh and so acting silly and toe tickling are part of our daily routine.

Today we got up early and went to McDonald's for pancakes and some playtime. After "just one more time" down the slide, we headed to the grocery store. An older woman was walking out through the double doors as we were walking in. She looked at the 3 of us and smiled sweetly. Then she said, "These are the best days of your life".

I've been thinking about that comment all day. I saw a longing in her eyes. It was as if she was reminiscing her past as a Mom and wanted nothing more than to scoop my babies up and shower them with kisses.

I don't know why it touched me the way that it has. When I told Jeremy about it, I got all choked up. Could it be because I was just thinking those same thoughts hours before? Or maybe because I could feel her loss? If it's really true that these are the "best" days, then is it all downhill from here?

I don't think that's what she meant, but it makes me very sad to think that she might feel as though her best years are over. That no one needs her or wants her anymore. Just a reminder to me of what's important in life: family. You never know when a life lesson will present itself. I'm just glad I was paying attention.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home