June 12, 2006

Back in the Swing of Things

Well, it's been a week since we got back from Daytona. I am finally back into my daily routine and able to write about our trip to the beach. Here is a picture of me and the kids taken the day we left:

The weather was beautiful like this every day. The only exception was one quick pop up shower the very first morning on the beach, but it didn't last long and we were back out in the pool after Emery's nap.

The kids surprised me immensely on their ability to sit in the car for an 8 hour stretch. I had anticipated much more whining and had my ipod earplugs ready to help drown out the sounds over which I had no control. I was also a little worried that Savannah would need to use a potty on a stretch of road with a sign reading "next rest stop 65 miles". But Emery and she proved me wrong. They took in a movie, had a snack, would take a nap, stopped for a potty break, and drew lots of pictures. We had fun in the car and I enjoyed my time with them.


The condo was nice, 2 bedrooms and 2 baths. It took me less than 2 hours to figure out the kids sleeping in the same room was NEVER going to happen. I ended up putting Emery's pack-n-play in the master closet (rest assured, it was big...there was a washer and dryer in there). The first night I was awakened by Savannah sobbing. She was trying to find me and as quickly as I got out of bed to go to her, she had opened the front door and was trying to get out!

I had actually anticipated something like that because our friends were staying across the hall and we had been back and forth all day. Luckily I put a chair in front of the door before I went to bed since she could work the locks, so at least that slowed her down. I hate to think of the panic I would have had if I would have gotten up and found the front door open!


Savannah loved the pool and Emery loved the beach! He would sit down where the waves were washing up on the shore and let the water roll all over himself. Then it would go back out and he would play in the "muddy" sand until the next wave came in. Grinning the whole time!

Savannah wouldn't go near the ocean "because there are fish in there", but instead would recruit the boys from the family we were with to fill her bucket full of water for her sandcastles. She would get all sandy and sweaty, then tell me it was time for the pool.

We really did have a great time and I'm glad we went. The only thing that would have made it better is if Daddy could have joined us.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,
The other family enjoyed you going to Daytona too!! We had a great time and soon your two will be old enough to enjoy "the Beach" on their own!! I love reading your blogs!

other mom!!

10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home