June 14, 2006

Hair Raising Appointment

Tomorrow I have an appointment at a SALON to have my hair cut. This is a big deal to me. I am more of a "Great Clips Gal". Mainly because I am cheap! I have tried for 15 years to tell myself all stylists are the same and those hoity-toity beauty shops can't do anything with this fine, straight hair that haircare franchises can't do.

Recently I've been considering cutting my hair short. I know...shocking! I actually don't remember the last time it was cut above my shoulders. I've been enjoying it long out of convienence since having the tots leaves me little time for maintanence and upkeep. I wash it at night, it dries while I sleep, and in the morning I put it in a ponytail. Doesn't get much easier than that!

But I am ready for a change. And I think my husband would be pleased if his wife decided to spend a little extra time on herself, looking more like the cool, hip chick he married instead of the lackadaisical, matriarch who will even go to Wal-Mart in nothing but moisturizer and a scrunchie.

So I started asking around. Turns out the girls I polled who have hair I think is cute, have theirs done at a salon! Okay, I guess I could have been wrong all these years. It's been known to happen (but don't tell Jeremy).

Since then I bought a couple of hair magazines, which have all kinds of do's ranging from spiky short to super long, celebrity hairstyles, and a rainbow of colors! Jeremy went through and circled the styles he liked best. Yeah, right...curls, curls, curls is what he likes. I don't have one teeny, tiny wavey strand of hair on my entire head. So unless I go in asking for a perm, which is so 80's I'd hate to even say that in a trendy spa, he will have to keep dreaming.

Another thing I noticed in these books were the descriptions on how to "get the look". There are tons of hair care products that I have never even heard of. The extent of my product line is shampoo, conditioner, and hairspray. I am starting to believe that my hair could actually look like some of these models if I have a little training in technique and the proper essentials to make it happen.

I am still nervous about tomorrow but am starting to get some confiedence that my stylist may in fact be able to teach an old dog new tricks (for lack of a better analogy). I still think the only thing harder than cutting off about a foot of my hair with absolutely no idea if I will be able to make it look as beautiful and full of body as she can, will be forking over $50 for a haircut!

Oh, which reminds me that I have no idea what to tip in a place like this. Great...now I've got something else to be overly concerned about!

2 Comments:

Blogger eBeth said...

good luck at the Salon.. I started going before I moved to the UK. Now I won't let anyone other than Sky (weird, huh?) touch my head. Are you going to cut it off? Go for it! It is just hair - it grows back.. :)

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah, the world of product! i went to the salon with 'liz 2 years ago and had my hair cut...i loved, it, forked over the L50 (that was about $100 on the old visa) and loved it. come to think of it, maybe liz forked over the Ls...anyway....no one here can cut it the same. so find someone you love who can cut it short and keep you salon fresh close to home!

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home