May 22, 2006

Vacation (noun):

1. A period of time devoted to rest or relaxation, especially with pay granted to an employee. 2. A period in which activity or work is suspended.

Whoever coined the phrase "family vacation" was either, A.) a man or B.) someone whose children were grown. We went on a such a "vacation" last summer when Savannah was 2 and Emery was 5 weeks old. Let me just assure you, it did not even RESEMBLE either of the two definitions above. So I think we should just call it what it is people: a "family relocation".


Jeremy and I were talking about taking the kids somewhere this summer, but we can't decide what we want to do. He basically left it up to me to decide. Any suggestions? I really prefer it within driving distance since we would NEVER be able to carry all of the stuff I would pack on a plane!!! The beach was fun last year, although in August, it was really too hot to have the little ones outside between 11 am and about 4 pm. And this year, I would predict Emery trying to eat the sand rather than play in it. But Savannah would have a great time!

I was thinking of maybe planning a few family outings around this area instead of traveling. The new Georgia Aquarium might be fun or Imagine It. There are plenty of things to do around here. I don't know why I feel like we are "supposed to" go someplace in the summer time. It should really be about spending quality time together where ever we are.

So with the pressure off, I propose we postpone the family relocation until next year. The only way around it will be if Savannah earns her promised trip to Disney World, and as you can tell from the previous post, it's not looking good for anytime this year!

1 Comments:

Blogger eBeth said...

The High Museum in Atlanta do Toddler Thursdays (and Tuesdays, I believe) where they have free activities (well, for the cost of adult admission) for littlies. We took Mary Catherine in April and had a fantastic time. She made a camel sculpture that we painted and took home. They also have a really lovely children's area (where school groups are not allowed) that had loads to play with and soft play shapes that even E could enjoy.

I think a 'hometown holiday' sounds great! Maybe you could even shuck out for a hotel downtown to feel like you're getting away?

5:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home