November 03, 2006

Friday Funny

Recently there were 2 additional chores added to Savannah's responsibilities: helping me put away groceries after we go to the store and emptying the dishwasher. Both of these things are something she might get involved with from time to time, but now she is expected to help anytime either of these tasks are being done.

Sometimes I think it is a harder adjustment for me than her, because in the back of my mind I am thinking that I can get this stuff finished in half the time if I just do it myself. But I realize that 2 things happen when I allow her to get involved. She is learning about responsibility and what it means to be a part of a family, and I am learning patience and that there can be more to household chores than the speed in which one can be accomplished.

This morning the dishwasher needed to be emptied. Savannah was watching TV and I told her when that show was over, to come to the kitchen, I needed her help. She agreed.

When she came to help out I told her that I wanted her to empty the dishwasher by herself (this was a first...usually I am right there helping). I asked her to put away the things she could reach and I would get the rest when she was finished.

Then the drama started! As I was moving furniture out of the kitchen (it is "floor duty Friday", ya know), she is whining and crying. "I caaaaaan't doooo thiiiiiis". "I bummmmpppped my head on the doooooor". "Mommy, my noooooose is ruuuunnnning". "I need a tiiiiiiissue". "You neeeeed to heeeeeelp meeeeee".

Thankfully, I didn't fall into the whining trap with her. I kept my cool and just repeated to her that it was her job today to take care of the clean dishes, and she could not do anything else until that was done. I continued with the floors and maintained that I really didn't care if she sat next to the dishwasher all day, I was standing my ground on this one.

I'm not sure how long she sat there feeling sorry for herself, but eventually she did get up and put away all the things within her reach. When she announced she was done and asked if she could go to her room, I said "of course" and told her I was proud of her. A few minutes later I went up to her bedroom to see what she was doing. She had taken her clothes off and climbed into bed.

"What are you doing?", I asked.
With a big sigh, she replied, "I am going back to bed. I am really tired after all that hard work."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where do I begin? "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree"?..."Like mother, like daughter"?..."You ain't seen nothin' het"?..... :)

6:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

now i know why mr b has to go take a nap after he empties the silverware basket! thanks, savannah, you have given me insiight! miz b

1:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home