October 22, 2006

Other Uses for my Plant Hanger...

Today I was sweeping out the shed under our house, or as we call it "the pit". It is filled with lawn mowers (yes, we have more than one which would be a bit strange in itself even if we didn't hire out our landscaping, but that's another story that dates back to our first major purchase as a married couple living in our first house and I fear that spousal pride is the only thing that keeps that dad-burn John Deere relocating with us each time we've moved!). It also houses all kinds of other yard tools, potting soil, bird seed, unused excercise equipment, gas cans, and I believe, a couple of mice. And, as of 2 weeks ago, it is now where our kitty's live. (This too, is a whole 'nother story about why the cats were removed from the screened in porch, but I can assure you it has more to do with the white spots left on my stained deck from their partying in the litter box and getting the bleach crystals all over the place, than them chasing flys and wasps and spiders up the screens and then hanging there, meowing endlessly!)

In just 2 short weeks I think that Lucy and Bebo have grown accustomed to their new surroundings, and really, I should hope so. It's warm and dry. What else does a cat need? Besides a loving little girl to go outside and play with them from sun up to sun down? And believe me...Savannah does just that!!!

But that is what led me to sweeping out the pit this afternoon. It's so dirty in there and she likes to sit on the floor and hold them, or even crawl around with them. Now don't get me wrong, I am not a germ-o-phobe or anything, but when she is dressed for school and just wants to "go tell Lucy bye", then comes back in the house with black knees and a dusty bottom...then I need to try to do something so we don't have to be in play clothes just spend 5 minutes with the animals.

So the kids were playing nicely and I decided I would get the broom to see if I could remedy the situation. I wasn't paying too much attention to them other than the occasional glance in Emery's direction to make sure he wasn't headed up the steps to the 2nd story deck. All of a sudden I heard Savannah singing over and over, "Merry go round, merry go round..." It's wasn't in any particular tune, just a sing-song voice.

I became aware that there were no other words to the song, and since I couldn't see her from inside the shed, I called out, "what are you saying?" "Merry go round, Mommy," was the reply. Hmmm, okay. As I got closer to the outside, I peeked around the corner. She had taken her sidewalk chalk and colored my shepherds hook all kinds of pretty colors. She saw me looking and shouted, "Look at me. Look what I can do!"

"And what is it that you are doing?", I wondered aloud. She answered, "I am doing merry go round."

Now, I'm no expert, but it looked more like pole dancing to me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home