May 04, 2006

Mission Accomplished

People kept asking me all day how I liked being in the office this week. Truth is, I loved it. The people at our office make up a great team and I miss that feeling of accomplishment that comes when a task is completed.

As a stay at home mom I rarely feel like anything is completed! There are always clothes to clean, food to buy, toys to pick up, children to bathe...etc. I know that being a mom is a very, very important job and I take it very seriously, but the hardest part for me is waiting for the results. At work, I saw results in a matter of weeks or months. There was closure! With the job done I knew if I did it well or needed to change anything before the next go 'round. As a mom, I am constantly making an impact in the lives of my kids, but won't know for years if I have screwed them up for life!!!

I am not complaining about being at home. It was my choice. I worked when S was a baby and I didn't feel like I was giving 100% to either work or home. Now I definitely give all I've got to mothering.

So many moms struggle with these same questions. To work or not to work? I hate to hear any woman critizing another for the choice she makes. Assuming they have the option, it's strictly a personal decision. Every mom I know does what she thinks is best for her family, and nobody should second guess that.

For me it all boils down to making the decision and just sticking with it through the good days and the bad days. Not second guessing myself. And remembering that although I will not see the final results for many, many years, if I look closely, my kids give me little glimpses each day of the character J and I are encouraging in them.

1 Comments:

Blogger eBeth said...

I think it's wonderful that you have the option of staying home.. and I'm not judging your choice or anything like that.

As a working mom, I just wanted to give my perspective.

Character is not just something instilled by parents in a child - the world/environment that we surround our children with shapes their personalities and belief systems. Having contact with non-parental people, in my opinion, is a very good thing and certainly prepares them for the way ahead.

I believe in the 'it takes a village' concept. (I'll go hug a tree now!) :)

4:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home