April 25, 2006

Musical Beds?

So I was awakened last night by the sound of little feet running on the hardwood toward our bedroom and then a breathless child saying "Mommy, my bed's all wet". With one eye opened I looked at her and asked the obvious, "Did you have an accident?" "Yes, Ma'am, I'm sorry".

As I was getting my thoughts together I felt her pajama bottoms and said, "Are you sure? Because your pants aren't wet." Well she was positive that is what happened and that now she needed to sleep with us. I was not convinced and still, half asleep. I took her back upstairs and noticed the clock said 12:24. I had only been asleep 2 hours (sigh).

When I felt her sheets, they were indeed wet. Why wasn't she? I was confused and tired and just then E started crying in his room. I sent S back downstairs to sleep with Daddy while I waited to see if E was going back to sleep on his own. As I listened, I heard the gurgly, raspy breathing of a baby with a seriously stuffy head!

So I gathered him up and after a dose of cold medicine and a couple of sucks from the nasal aspirator (a.k.a. "the snot sucker"), I rocked him back to sleep and put him back in bed. As soon as he laid flat, he couldn't breathe. Well, I didn't think I could get any sleep in a chair, so I went back in S's room, put another blanket over the curious wet spot, propped myself up on pillows and put E on my chest so he could breathe again. He went right back to sleep. It was 1:20.

By 4:00 he was breathing pretty good so I laid him back in his bed and anticipated 2-3 hours of blissful sleep alone in S's bed! But at 5:45 I woke up when J was leaving for work. I thought I would go back downstairs to make sure when S got up she wasn't looking for me and wake up E in the process. She was still asleep in our bed so I laid down with her, but not for long. She got up at 6:15 wanting to eat breakfast. I showed her the clock and told her to leave me alone until "this little 6 turns into a little 7".

Believe it or not, she did. I think she went to her playroom and I woke up at 7:15. By then the house was bright and sunny. The first thing I noticed about S was that her pj bottoms didn't match her top. She explained "...I changed my pants after my asskident last night." Oh! Now it all made sense!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger eBeth said...

wow - sounds like a long night for you! isn't being the mommy fun? :)

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home