April 22, 2006

Mary vs Martha

You know the story right? Mary and Martha have Jesus into their home. Martha fusses around making food and cleaning while Mary sits with the guests. Pretty soon Martha is upset with Mary and tells Jesus (of all people) to tell Mary she better get her butt up and help. After all, that is what the women did at that time and place. Boy, wasn't Martha surprised when Jesus told her that Mary had chosen what was right.

Well, the gist is that all the fussing Martha was doing could have been done another day. It wasn't what was important in the moment. And the reason this story is on my mind today, is that all morning I have been trying to clean the house. Almost an impossible task with two little ones going right behind me and messing it up again. Then I get aggrivated with them. Then I get mad at myself for getting aggrivated with them! It's a vicious cycle! :)

I am a Martha by nature. My last name should be Stewart! People who know me best would swear the character Monica, on Friends, was created after me. In a way it's funny. But on days like today, I feel bad subjecting my children to my obsession! My husband is always trying to remind me of what is "really" important. But seriously...when is the house going to get clean???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home