October 15, 2006

Me and Flying...It's a Love/Hate Relationship

It's simple, really. I love to go places. But hate to fly. There are several theories of why I white-knuckle it whenever I do have to get on a plane. Most of which revolve around my need to feel in control and complete ignorance regarding aerodynamics. I mean, seriously, how does something so big and heavy get in the air and in addition, carry hundreds of people and massive amounts of luggage?

It doesn't make sense to me, therefore I am afraid of it!

Oh, then there's the crashing part. And I love it when people fill me up with stats: "It's safer statistically to fly than to drive". Blah, blah, blah. Like that is supposed to make me feel better as I'm careening toward the earth at 500 mph with several minutes to think about my last moments on the planet. I think I'd rather pass in a quickie car accident, thank you.

In all truthfullness I would like to overcome this fear. I have missed out on a couple of European vacations and one trip to Alaska that Jeremy's dad just knew that the family would love. It not only involved flying to the Last Frontier, but then taking several little "pond hoppers" to get to, evidentally, the FINAL Frontier!

And now I have a desire to go to Romania with my church on an upcoming mission trip to visit this family and help with their efforts in the local gypsy village and abandoned baby hospital. I just can't ignore the fact any longer that this aviophobia (thank you Google) is holding me back.

In December my father in law is taking us to New York city for Christmas. I have always wanted to see NY during the holidays. I want to ice skate under the lights of the big tree, browse the shop windows as fluffy snowflakes fall and stick on my fuzzy mittens, get all dressed up to take in a broadway show, and sip hot cocoa on a carriage ride through central park. I absolutely can't wait to do all of that, but when I think about sitting in his little 9 passenger cloud buster, I start freaking out! He has already suggested that I sit in the bathroom for the entire flight!!! :)

So all of that to say that today my sister and my dad (pictured below) are my hero's! They flew over Atlanta this afternoon in an open cockpit bi-plane for 45 mintues. My mom and I enjoyed a champagne brunch at the 57 Fighter Group restaurant, which was lovely atmosphere but a bit pricey for what we ate (especially since neither of us indulged in the champagne)! But we did get to sit outside while eating on a beautiful fall day, and could watch all the planes taking off and landing, including the one Dad and Jess were in.


But to say it cured my fear of flying...no...not even close!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger eBeth said...

aiigh! I'm fine on a big jet (I have to be crossing the Atlantic so much) but little planes like that FREAK me right out.

So - are you going to go to New York?

9:14 AM  
Blogger jodi said...

I am planning on it. But I'm not sure how much drugs and alcohol it's going to take to get me on that plane! :)

9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home