July 17, 2006

My Everest

When I wrote about Savannah's love of Pull-Ups back on May 20th, I told myself I would not revisit this situation again in this public blog. Primarily, to save her any future embarrassment, but also, I don't think my child's bodily functions make for very entertaining reading. However, today was such a mentally and physically exhausting day, I believe it may have been a defining moment in my life.

First, let me set the scene by saying that yesterday, I started experiencing PMS symptoms from hell. I usually get a little unnerved during that oh so wonderful time of the month and have been known to be a little edgy, but yesterday I was actually trying to get something done and the constant interruptions were pushing me past edgy, and right into being down right RUDE to the youngsters.

I know, I know. And I feel bad about that. I wanted today to be a new day. I got the kids up and we met Grampa for breakfast at IHOP. Then we ran some errands and came home. I was chatting with friend on the phone before lunch when the sh*t hit the fan. Or rather, the floor!

To give a little more insight into the whole situation, about 5 weeks ago Savannah decided she didn't like to poop and just wasn't going to do it anymore. Not even in a Pull-up. Well, this created a huge problem because as I have figured out, there is not much I can do when a stubborn 3 year old sets her mind to something that only she can control. I started feeding her anything that might get things moving, and even though she was having the urges, she refused to succumb to them.

I talked to the pharmacist and bought some laxatives and suppositories. I'll spare you the details on how fun those were to administer, and just skip right to the part where I am nervous taking her anywhere because I never know when those suckers are going to start working! And remember, this has been going on for FIVE WEEKS!!!!

After the first week, I called her doctor for advice. She called in a prescription laxative that will not cause dependency. We've been on that since June 27th. Savannah still does NOT want to POOP! She holds it as long as she can, and I am truly amazed at how long that is!

So fast forward to yesterday at church. She went in her panties. Not the first time this has happened at church, but this time I packed spare clothes in Emery's diaper bag so we didn't have to go home like last time. I didn't think too much about it because last week she announced twice, "Mommy I have to go poopy", and I sat with her in the bathroom and she was so happy because it didn't scare her anymore. I never dreamed anything would happen like today.


Right before lunch she was holding on to her bottom and I knew she needed to go, so I told her to sit on the potty for a while and see what happens. Just then my friend called and as I was talking to her, Savannah was whining about sitting there. In a few minutes I went to check on her because the whining was now crying, and I found her sitting on the stool we use for washing hands, only now it is safe to say that instead of sitting "on" a stool she was sitting "in" a pile of stools. Are you with me?

My mouth just flew open and I didn't know what to do. None of the baby books I read could prepare me for that one!!! Where was that chapter on "10 Ways to Clean Up Diarrhea without Getting It all over the Child, Yourself, and the Bathroom Floor, Walls, Sink, Garbage Can, etc."?

I was in shock and just started comforting Savannah. She was scared and felt really bad about what she did. After cleaning up, I fixed the kids lunch and then called Jeremy to let him know what had happened. When I got off the phone with him is when the crying started. I just DO NOT know what to DO! I feel so helpless about all this. When I got everyone in bed for naps, Jeremy called me back to see how it was going and I just sobbed into the phone. Then I heard Savannah. "Mommy, I pooped in my panties."

OMG, I can't stop crying! "Mommy why are you sad?" Yep, more tears!!! Uncontrolled now. Jeremy is still on the phone listening to all of this. Then he says, "I'm coming home". "NO! I'VE GOT EVERYTHING UNDER CONTROL", I shout into the phone, feeling like he thinks I'm a failure! We hang up but I know he's coming anyways.

It turned out to be a good thing he was here. She had one more accident before the night was over. I don't think I have ever cried as much as I did today. Never before have I felt so defeated in Mothering. Maybe in anything! Potty training Savannah is definitely "My Everest".

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just remember that "this, too, shall pass"...and there is absolutely NO pun intended!!! Have a better day (and get over your PMS crying before this weekend)

7:42 AM  
Blogger eBeth said...

I, too, suffer from PMS - although Andrew says it stands for 'permanent menstral syndrome!' Not funny.

I'm so sorry that you're having to deal with the poop thing .. I have no advice, only that I'm sure one day you'll look back and it won't be so bad.

i know you didn't want to write it down, but when you write about life stuff like that it makes me feel better about some of my 'everests'. :)

2:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home