August 04, 2006

Where's Your Sign?

Unlike some people, I have never felt the need to express my personal opinions via bumper stickers. It doesn't bother me that other people do have them. As a matter of fact, I almost always read them and have been known to tailgate on occasion, trying to see what some say.

This morning I approached a red light and noticed that the car in front of me was COVERED in all kinds of stickers and magnets. I thought, "Cool. I'd love a good laugh."

The first sticker I read said, "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in great numbers", and it didn't take long to realize the driver must have been talking about himself. There were statements questioning the intelligence of President Bush and another eluding that putting more Science in the classrooms will solve our nations problems. Between the slashed through outline of a Fish sticker and several promoting the theory of Evolution, it was obvious where this man stood on religion.

As I sat there waiting for the light to turn green, I found myself getting angry. Then I tried to figure out why. Was it simply his opinions that were getting me fired up? I had read similiar bumper stickers before and not gotten upset. Maybe it was because there were so many. Like just one wasn't enough. To get his point across he had to practically cover the entire back end of his car. It was as if his trunk was shoved in my face and forcing me to read that garbage.

After giving it some serious thought, I believe the problem lies in his perception of people who do not share his viewpoint. We must be dumb. These stickers weren't just giving his beliefs, they were degrading to anyone who disagreed with him, assuming that we were not educated enough to be so enlightened.

If I could have had an intelligent conversation with this fellow (highly unlikely, I'm sure), I would have asked him about the biggest sticker that was right in the middle of all the others. It said, "Don't pray in my school, I won't think in your church". To me, this is the perfect sentiment for this man's attitude. Can you picture these 2 scenerios? First, there is that of a child quietly praying in school. Maybe outloud, maybe not. Either way, asking his Lord to help him be a good friend, giving thanks for his parents, and maybe promising that if He helps him pass his math test, he will never forget to take out the trash again!

Then there is the second scenerio. Of a man sitting in a church. Arms crossed, lips pursed. Suspicious that brainwashing is going on. Full of pride and determined not to open his mind up to the loving people all around him.

What a way to live life. So skeptical. Feeling morally superior to all those around you. When I came to this conclusion, I actually felt a little sorry for the dude. I put aside my idea of shoving my gas guzzling SUV into 4 wheel drive and slamming into the back of that tiny white 1994 Geo Prizm, thereby crushing those nonsensical bumper stickers and spilling the steaming hot cup of coffee that I could see sitting in his lap. That would probably be a detriment to my Christian witness. Instead, I think I will pray for him and hope that someday he will find his place in the universe and the freedom to love all people, even those who stubbornly refuse to open their mind to the greatness of all that is God.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

Sounds to me, he's a bit 'over the top' defensive... a result of some low-lying guilt DEEEEEEP down somewhere... but that's just my psychology coming out. In response to his prayer in school sticker, I've always liked the one that says: There will always be prayer in school, as long as there are TESTS!!! :)

1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home