July 31, 2006

Is There a Pattern Here?

I am thinking of renaming this blog "Adventures in Potty Training". Seriously, is there anything else going on in my life??? This doesn't even have anything to do with MY kids!!! Jeremy and I have nursery duty in the one year class at church every other Sunday. All of the kids have turned 2 at some point this year, so guess what? Yep, they are potty training!!!

Yesterday we had a group of 6 kids and strangely enough, only one of them was one of our "regulars". I got the scoop on the other 5 from the teacher who had them the previous hour: this one is in diapers, this one will try to potty standing up, this one wants to sit down, I haven't got this one to go yet, but they just had a snack, so try again in a few minutes, etc. Okay, no problem, it's only an hour and a half, what could possibly happen?

Well, to start out with, as I was cleaning up the remaining snacks and thinking "as soon as I get done here I will see if JD needs to go potty again", JD announced from the corner of the room behind the Fisher Price kitchen set, "I PEE PEED". Oh maaaaan!!!!

His parents had dressed him in big boy underwear so not only did I have to clean him up and change his clothes, but the carpet in the corner needed addressing as well. When that was taken care of I let some of the others try to potty and while everybody wanted to try, only 1 little boy was successful.

At that point I suggested Jeremy get the "Bye Bye Buggy" (seats 6) and let's take the kids for a ride around the building. As we got them lined up a the door, it became clear that someone was very stinky! So I asked them who it was since usually they can't wait to tell me when they need their diaper changed. All of them said no except for our little regular attender who wouldn't even look me in the eye.

Okay, Mr. Jeremy is going to load everyone up and I will be right back with EC. Now in the past 4 years I have changed A LOT of diapers, but this poor little guy had some bad stank in his drawers! I had to do a preemptive strike with the air freshner before I could even get started changing him! Whew!!!

I went to put EC in the buggy and Jeremy says, "I think we've got another". I thought he might be kidding, but oh no, he was not. Turns out 4 of those kids had pooped in their diapers in less than 10 minutes. How nice! I can't tell you how happy I was to be vacating that room for a while. I sprayed extra air freshner and left the fan on with the door open.

When we returned, I asked the 3 with Pull Ups on if they wanted to try to potty again, and of course, they did. Mostly they like to flush, but they did give peeing a good effort. I was proud of them.

Here is the part of the story where my lack of boy raising skills become very obvious. It was little JD's turn again. I was told he liked to stand when using the toilet, but he insisted on sitting for me. So there I was, crouched down beside him, waiting, and when I looked to see if he was going yet, I noticed that when little boys sit, their peeing parts point out, not down. Yes, this was, in fact, news to me!

Before I could figure out what to do or enlist the help of my husband, he started to pee. And it shot right past me and onto the opposite wall. In an effort to make it go into the potty, I just screamed and stuck my hand in front of it until he was done. Then JD and I started laughing as we called for Mr. Jeremy to bring us LOTS of papertowels.

What a way to end the preschool year. Next Sunday those kids will be moving up to the 2 year old class so let's all PRAY for those teachers shall we? :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home