August 01, 2006

City Slickers

At 3:00 this morning my husband left the house to meet his dad at the local airport for a flight to Wyoming. There is a trip my father in law has been trying to get Jeremy to go on for 3 years now and finally this year, Jeremy got tired of him asking and said, "Fine, Dad, I'll go". Ooooh, the excitement! :)

I wish I could be a fly on the wall, um, no...rather a fly on a horse, I suppose, because this is a week long horseback pack trip through Yellowstone National Park. Just a little insight into why I think this is so funny: Jeremy's idea of "roughing it" would be staying at the Motel 6 instead of the Comfort Inn Suites. And now he is about to spend 7 nights sleeping under the stars? What a hoot!

And riding a horse? I suggested it once when we were dating, you know, that time in your relationship when you will do anything with the other person just so you can be together, and he said "no way". Can you imagine riding a horse for one whole week when you haven't been on one in about 20 years? My thighs hurt just thinking about it!

Last night when he was packing we were going over the list that Press Stephens Outfitting had sent him to make sure he had the proper gear. Here are some things they suggested: flashlight, one quart water bottle, bear mace, sunglasses, 2 garbage bags, 5-10 ziploc baggies, biodegradable soap and toothpaste (I didn't know regular soap and toothpaste weren't biodegradeable!), sunscreen, rain suit that will fit over jeans, wool sweater, long underwear, shorts, T-shirts, long sleeved shirts, jeans, wool socks, swimming suit, hat, bandanas, leather gloves, and flask, filled to your specifications.

Interesting list, don't you think? Bear mace? Yep. Turns out it's not available in all 50 states, but you can buy it just about anywhere in Wyoming. And I also thought it was strange to be putting a wool sweater and a swimming suit in the same duffle bag, but it turns out the temperatures at Yellowstone in August will vary from 90+ degrees to below 20 in one 24 hour period. (FYI-Jeremy hates to be cold).

I also noticed when I got up this morning that Jeremy had added one thing to the list, put at the top of the page with a #1 beside it, and in red ink so he wouldn't forget...can you guess what it was? Advil.

Each time I picture the guys out there, I think of the movie City Slickers and it makes me chuckle to myself. I'm sure they won't have the same kind of trouble Billy Crystal ran into "bringing in the herd" without the trail boss, but I do hope that like the 3 friends in the movie, they are able to strengthen their relationships and have some time to renew their minds under the big open skies. One week without a cell phone and a blackberry will be good for my husband. (We'll miss you Babe!)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hear all about it. Maybe he won't think my weekend in a state park cabin will be so bad this year. :)

5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home