May 15, 2006

New Friends

The kids and I spent today with my new friend, Michele, and her daughter, Jenna. We went to the Build a Bear store and Jenna got to "build a bear" as a reward for using the potty and wearing big girl panties! Way to go, Jenna!!!

After getting the girls out of the mall, we headed over to Chuck-E-Cheese for lunch. CEC is the last place I want to be on a Friday or Saturday night, but during the week, and especially at lunchtime, it's a great way to feed the kids then wear them out, all without having to cook or clean up. They had a great time and Michele and I actually got in a little girl talk.

As I stated earlier, Michele is a new friend of mine and as we were talking I admitted something that I thought she would either agree with or think I'm a terrible mother. What I've learned about being a Mom is that people have very strong opinions about how we should act and think. Different attitudes towards parenting can cause hard feelings, but the words flew out of my mouth before I thought about the repercussions of such a statement.

We were talking about how we celebrated Mothers Day and although I DID have a wonderful day Sunday grilling out with mine and J's family, while I was doing the 2nd (yes, SECOND) batch of dishes after everyone left that night, I got to thinking "shouldn't this day feel different?" It was at this time in the conversation that I said it. Only words a Mother who doesn't love her children would say..."Next year for Mother's Day I want to be by myself. I want to go to a spa or go shopping or something. For the whole day. Alone." (gasp) Did I say that out loud????

Thankfully Michele didn't even hesitate to agree with me. She knew just what I was talking about. (whew) And better yet, I know she is a good mom who loves her kids, so maybe I'm not so wierd after all.

1 Comments:

Blogger eBeth said...

You're not weird! Okay, maybe a little wonky for wanting to do it on Mother's Day - but wanting time to yourself is totally understandable! I have a spa evening every now and again for that exact reason. It's bliss to just sit and veg and not be anyone's wife or mother. Just another lady waddling around in a bathrobe!

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home